Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Mission: Mine and His

It has been a little while but here is another post!

I have been serving for several months now as a full-time missionary. Why am I and others serving alongside me referred to as "missionaries"? It is because we have a specific mission to accomplish while we are serving. A "mission" is defined as "a specific task or duty assigned to a person or group of people." (World English Dictionary). My mission is to invite people to come unto Christ, and help them experience the blessings of His gospel.

Jesus Christ had a mission as well. His mission is so important to the world that it is the reason why I am serving my mission. His mission was and is to "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39) The way that He accomplished His mission is taught in many different parts of the Bible.

His mission was foretold by prophets in ancient times in the Bible:
"Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." (Isaiah 53:4-5)

And in the Book of Mormon:
"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.
Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me." (Alma 7:11-13)

Jesus came to the earth and did indeed fulfill His mission. This is something that I came to know for myself as I read the Book of Mormon and asked God if it is true. He has answered my prayers and He can answer yours. Now, however, it is up to us to receive and accept the sacrifice that He made for every single one of us. I invite you to learn more about Jesus Christ and how He can bring you true peace. I know that as you learn of Him and follow His commandments, you can have this lasting peace, joy, and fulfillment in your life as I have found it in mine.

1 comment: