Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A New Year and Newfound Faith in Jesus Christ

"Old things have been done away, and all things have become new." (3 Nephi 12:47)

At the beginning of every New Year, many people take the opportunity to examine their lives and set goals for what they want to accomplish in the coming year. Because 2012 is going to be the last year of my mission, I too have thought a lot about what I want to accomplish and the person I want to become by the time my mission is complete. Here I want to talk about a goal that everyone can set for the New Year, one that can bless the life of every single person on the earth: Read the Book of Mormon every day for the rest of this year!

The Book of Mormon is scripture that was written in ancient times but saved for ours. It's purpose is to "[convince]...Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations." (Book of Mormon, Title Page) This is a book of scripture that will, if we will read it prayerfully, bring us closer to God than any other book. Even before the birth of Jesus upon the earth, this is what those prophets who wrote the Book of Mormon said about their writings: "We talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." (2 Nephi 25:26) This book can and will bring you to Jesus Christ if you will exercise the faith to read it every day.

On my mission I have been reading the Book of Mormon every day, and it has brought me great peace and true happiness in my life. My invitation to you as you read it is to pray and ask God if it is true. I know that He will comfort you in your heart and help you know that these words are truly His words!

No comments:

Post a Comment